ABBTF is teaming up with Government initiatives to get positive outcomes for students wishing to enter the construction and building Industry. HEADSTART is one such new Victorian government initiative aimed at offering VCE and VCAL school students in years 10, 11 or 12, additional pathways and opportunities for apprenticeships and traineeships whilst concurrently completing their secondary school studies.
There are 10 cluster zones across Victoria. 44 Qualifications fall within the HEADSTART program based off the National Employment Skills Needs list, including Certificate III in Bricklaying / Blocklaying. This provides an additional wrap around support for the students with coordinators being the conduit between schools, training organisations, employers and parents.
(L-R)Nick Kane from Berwick Brick and Blocklaying with Tyrone Sugden.
Greg Lathan from Headstart reached out to ABBTF to find an employer for candidate Tyrone Sugden. Not long after, ABBTF matched Tyrone for a work trial with Berwick Brick and Blocklaying which was very successful and led to an apprenticeship.
Tyrone was passionate about becoming a bricklayer because he has worked with his dad in the past who is a concreter and enjoys the industry. Outside of work, Tyrone loves sports specially Football, Basketball and Cricket.
Meet this young, enthusiastic, local who was ready to begin his career in the construction industry. There are many such opportunities for candidates with the willingness to learn and can-do attitude.
BENEFITS FOR EMPLOYERS
This collaboration also provides benefits for an employer such as:
- A no obligation workplace trial provides opportunity to screen candidates
- At the back end of the apprenticeship or traineeship post year 12 studies, an employer will reap the benefits of a student who has completed most of their structured training
- Can be explored to backfill other apprentices/ trainees training days, if another training provider can deliver on an alternate day.
- 5 x days/ week coverage can be explored through multiple students.
- No charge mentoring and support for an apprentice/ trainee from a HEADSTART
You can also follow this link to find out more about HEADSTART
If you would like to know more about Bricklaying apprenticeship – we are happy to connect with you to discuss the apprenticeship opportunities. https://www.becomeabricklayer.com.au/contact-us/