If you are a bricklayer, out there just doing your thing, you might be wondering – So how do I find an apprentice anyway?
Well it’s as easy as calling the Australian Brick and Block Training Foundation Queensland (ABBTF) on 1300 66 44 96 or 07 3205 5559.
Currently ABBTF is involved with training potential apprentice bricklayers in Brisbane, Toowoomba, Cairns and on the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. These candidates have completed our four week pre apprenticeship course and are ‘job ready’ with more insight than other applicants, into what is needed to become a good bricklaying apprentice. However, depending on your requirements, we may have a suitable apprentice for you right now.
Once you have identified a potential apprentice bricklayer, follow these five key steps to completing the process:
1. Check out your candidate to be sure they are suitable. The better suited ones are:
• Keen to learn (good listeners)
• Physically up to it
• Have a practical approach to work, and
• Have the right attitude
• Will have Questions for you.
Playing sport can also show good co-ordination and an ability to work in a team.
2. To sign up your apprentice, contact an Australian Apprenticeship Centre (AAC) where you will be taken through the contract of employment and training. The AAC will also advise on the Government incentives available to employers and apprentices. Call ABBTF (1300 66 44 96) as we may be able to organise this for you.
3. You will need to nominate a TAFE or Registered Training Organisation (RTO) in discussion with your apprentice. Visit the State Pages/Locations at this website for the nearest.
4. You will meet with the TAFE or RTO contact after enrolment in training to discuss and agree on the training plan. This includes timing of training, choice of electives, how training is delivered and how assessments are done, together with the employer’s important role in training the apprentice.
5. You need to phone ABBTF immediately after the sign-up at the AAC. ABBTF will register you for apprentice employment subsidies payable over the next three years.
ABBTF provides the same support with similar programs in all States of Australia. Call 1300 66 44 96 to connect with your State.
ABBTF Queensland Manager