Changes to TAFE in WA
There have been rumours for some time regarding proposed changes to the make-up and structure of TAFE Colleges in Western Australia.
Earlier this week DTWD announced “Changes to TAFE in WA” through their VETinfo newsletter which can be summarised as follows:
From April 11, the existing 11 TAFE colleges and associated campuses will be managed by a reduced, streamlined structure of only five TAFE colleges.
These changes are part of the State Government’s Training Sector Reform Project, launched in October 2015 to examine the function and structure of WA’s public training sector. The project stems from an Independent review in 2013-2014 (titled Seare’s Review).
The case for change associated with this project, was:
1. Some smaller regional TAFE’s attributed higher than normal cost structures.
2. An expectation for TAFE’s to operate as autonomous institutes in a competitive environment.
3. Enhanced governance and management capability and improved efficiency and performance.
It is likely that Governing Councils will be appointed as the authorities for the Colleges, with five Managing Directors in total (therefore, a reduction of management).
What does this mean for ABBTF and Bricklaying Training in WA (TAFE)?
Basically, we will have four major centres operating in the greater Perth metro area and in Regional WA. They will be:
- South Metropolitan TAFE – Rockingham & Mandurah (formerly Challenger) and Thornlie (formerly Polytechnic West)
- North Metropolitan TAFE – Clarkson (formerly West Coast/Trades North) and Balga in 2017 (formerly Polytechnic West)
- South Regional TAFE – Bunbury (formerly South West Institute of Technology)
- Central Regional TAFE – Northam (formerly CY O’Connor Institute) and Geraldton (formerly Durack Institute of Technology)
The majority of these changes will be effective from April 11 this year. DTWD is not expecting any impact on student enrollments and as far as ABBTF is aware, lecturer numbers have not been affected either.
For more information:
Changes to TAFE in WA announcement: