Becoming an Apprentice Tasmania
Bricklaying Apprenticeships (Tasmania)
If you’re interested in becoming a bricklaying apprentice in Tasmania, an apprenticeship in General Construction (Bricklaying / Blocklaying) is what you need.
Entry requirements may vary but generally you will require a Year 10 education. Tasmania Apprenticeship training is usually both on and off the job. The off-the-job training is provided through TasTAFE which is located at Clarence Campus in Hobart. Apprentice bricklayers are able to carry out their TAS apprenticeships in the following ways:
- Traditional apprenticeship (Tasmania)
- Find a bricklayer employer – refer to Tasmanian Building Group Apprenticeship Scheme who are a Group Training Organisation or locate a bricklayer employer yourself.
- Get indentured as an TAS apprentice for 4 years plus enrol at TasTAFE for training.
Bricklaying Apprenticeships (Tasmania) – Trade Certificate Qualification
As an apprentice in Tasmania you will be enrolled at TasTAFE in Certificate III Building & Construction – Bricklaying; which is a 4 year course. This course aims to provide an apprentice in Tasmania with training in both the housing and commercial areas of the Bricklaying trade. During the course, apprentices also acquire the skills necessary for the safe use and maintenance of a wide range of tools and equipment generally used on-the-job such as power tools, automatic and laser levels, nailing guns, compressors, generators, etc.
What will I learn as a bricklaying apprentice in Tasmania?
- Carry Out Workplace Communication
- Carry Out OH&S Requirements
- Plan & Organise Work
- Read & Interpret Plans
- Carry Out Measurement & Calculations
- Use Hand & Power Tools
- Use Small Plant & Equipment
- Erect & Dismantle Restricted Height Scaffolding
- Use Simple Levelling Devices
- Carry Out Concreting To Simple Forms
- Handle Construction Materials & Safe Disposal Of Waste
- Prepare For Construction Process (Brick/Block Laying)
- Prepare Surfaces
- Carry Out General Demolition
- Carry Out Levelling
- Operate Elevated Work Platforms (EWP)
- Use Explosive Power Tools
- Carry Out Basic Setting Out
- Install Door Frames
- Install Glass Blockwork
- Construct Corbels & Decorative Brickwork
- Construct Battered Masonry Surfaces
- Construct Fire Places & Chimneys
- Carry Out Veneer Construction
- Carry Out Solid Brick Construction
- Construct Masonry Steps & Stairs
- Lay Brick & Blocks (Wall & Corner)
- Lay Multi Thickness Wall & Piers
- Construct Masonry Arch-semi Circular & Segmental
- Construct Curved Wall
- Construct Masonry Blockwork
- Lay Segmental/Unit Paving
Or to find out where you can receive training for your bricklaying apprenticeship (TAS), click apprentice training locations Tasmania.For more information on becoming a bricklaying apprentice in TAS contact ABBTF.